Home Made Play Dough
How to make home made play dough
What You Need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Food coloring
- Food extracts, such as almond, vanilla, lemon or peppermint
- Objects to stick in the dough, such as Popsicle sticks and straws
- Objects to pound with, such as a toy mallet
- Objects to make impressions with, such as jar lids, cookie cutters and bottle caps
Make the Play Dough:
- Add the food coloring to the water. Then mix all of the ingredients together in a pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until it forms a soft ball.
- Let the mixture cool. Knead slightly. Add food extracts to different chunks of the dough to make different smells.
Talk with your child about what you are doing as you make the dough. Let your toddler or preschooler help you with measuring and adding ingredients. Let your child handle some dough while it is still slightly warm and some when it has cooled off to teach him about temperatures. Give some of the dough to your toddler or preschooler so she can pound it, stick things in it, make impressions in it and make her own animals, houses and people from it.