Let’s get started
- What you will need: pumpkins, an inquisitive child and various household items
- What you won’t need: Cell phones, TVs, Computers…
- What you’ll do: Explore pumpkins
1. Start the fun with a family field trip to the pumpkin patch or store
- How many pumpkins do you see?
- How many should we get?
- What size should we get?
- Do you see any unusual pumpkins?
2. Explore the pumpkins at home
- Carve the pumpkins
- Cook the seeds
- Plant the seeds
- Explore all kids of other pumpkin activities
- What color are pumpkins? Do pumpkins come in other colors?
- What’s it feel like inside & outside? Is it cold? Hot? Wet or dry? Mushy? Does the outside feel different than the inside?
- What does it smell like? Does it make you think of or remember something?
- Do you want to make a happy pumpkin? A mean pumpkin? A scary Pumpkin? A grinning Pumpkin…?
- Count & sort the pumpkins; Big, Medium, Small.
- Guess their weight. Which one weighs more? Weigh the pumpkins.
- Count & sort the seeds. How many do you think can fit in this container? How about this one?
- What shape are the seeds? What shape are the pumpkins?
- What shape should we make the eyes, the mouth, the teeth…?
- What is a pumpkin? Fruit? Vegetable?
- Can we eat pumpkins? What can we make and eat with pumpkins?
- Plant the Seeds. What do you think will happen? What do seeds need to grow?
- What happens when we smash a seed?
- Let’s smash a pumpkin! (My children love this one! We drop them off our balcony after Halloween!)
- You need: Jack-o-lantern, vinegar, baking soda, & food coloring.
- Mix some food coloring with some vinegar.
- Put some baking soda in the bottom of pumpkin.
- Pour the vinegar in the pumpkin and watch it erupt!
- Try it again with different quantities and colors!
- Toast and eat the seeds. What do they taste like? Are they hard or soft? Crunchy? Salty?
- Make pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cupcakes…
- Listen to the Monster Mash or any other Halloween song.
- Recite a Poem or Sing a song
- Five Little pumpkins sitting on a gate
- The first one said “Oh my it’s getting late!”
- The second one said “There are witches in the air!”
- The third one said “But we don’t care!”
- The fourth one said “let’s run & run & run!”
- The fifth one said “I’m ready for some fun!”
- WOO went the wind & out went the lights
- A the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight
- Pumpkin – calabaza
- Orange – naranja
- Seed – semilla
- Round – ronda
- Use google’s translator for more here